Vegetable Suppliers That Make All the Difference
There’s no denying that vegetables are essential for our daily diet and nutritional intake. Many of us strive to include some veggies in at least one of our meals each day. With more information available on the foods we eat and the nutrition our bodies require, the more we understand how important vegetables are. However, one small aspect most of us don’t think about is how the vegetables we find in our local supermarkets and on favourite restaurants’ menus get there. Sourcing vegetables from reputable and well-known vegetable suppliers can make all the difference. To better understand how vegetables get from the fields to our plates, we put together a little something to understand the world of vegetable suppliers better.
Depending on which vegetables you buy and like to eat, your veggies might be sourced from local or international suppliers. So, what’s the difference between the two, and does it matter? While many vegetables are grown in Europe, not all countries have the suitable soil and weather conditions to grow everything. Therefore, whenever possible, supermarkets and restaurants prefer to buy locally for several reasons, including:
- Help support local farmers: It’s always essential to help local growers and encourage more growth in our communities.
- Save money: It can be cheaper to buy locally than importing vegetables from overseas.
- Stricter Regulations: Depending on where vegetables are being grown and sold, different laws and regulations may be in place. Buying locally means you know what regulations are being implemented, thus ensuring your food is fresh and not overly doused in chemicals and pesticides.
Finding the right supplier can make all the difference in sourcing fresh vegetables. For most of us, that means heading to a grocery store, farmer’s market, or fruits and vegetables store to get our veggies supply. Once there, we use our basic senses like sight, smell and taste to make sure our vegetables are fresh. However, it may be a little more challenging for those in the food industry when you depend on reliable vegetable suppliers to provide you with fresh veggies. Often restaurants place orders over the phone with their suppliers and get them delivered without ever seeing anything until it arrives.
Beyond having fresh and tasty vegetables, a restaurant can ruin its reputation if the food it serves its customers is spoiled or tainted. That’s why every restaurant must find the right vegetable supplier. So, when it comes to finding the right vegetable supplier, here are some tips to follow:
- Do your research: Taking the time to research the right supplier can help you avoid buying from suppliers that deliver bad-quality veggies. With so many suppliers to choose from it can get a little overwhelming. That’s why it’s important to research the right one.
- Look for reviews and recommendations: Speak to other local restaurants and food businesses. Find out who they work with and if they can recommend anyone that meets your needs. If you can find information about the supplier online, look for reviews on forums and other similar websites to see what others are saying.
- Use of chemicals and pesticides: Eliminating chemicals and pesticides may not always be an option but knowing the vegetables you’re buying contain minimal amounts is always essential. Organic vegetables are usually touted as chemical-free, so they are usually sold at higher prices.
Negev Produce has been growing and exporting vegetables, including carrots, potatoes, and radishes, to countries across the European Union for many years now. Our vast knowledge and experience have helped create some of the most delicious and sought-after vegetables in Israel and abroad.
The next time you find yourself at your local fruits and vegetable wholesalers’ market or grocery store, you may be purchasing and enjoying one of Negev Produce’s delicious potatoes, radishes or carrots. We supply only the best vegetables, delivered fresh and delicious.